Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Three Kings Day

Three Kings Day or Dia de Reyes was the most awaited day by my generation living in a tiny town in Central America. Even more that Christmas, which was celebrated mainly by going to church and eating delicious food that was only cooked at that time of the year. No gifts. Gifts would arrive on Dia de Reyes, January 6. Aside of receiving a present or two, the tradition was that the night before, shoes were placed near a window - Only one pair per child; let's not go crazy here. In the morning we would find a little surprise, usually something small that fitted inside the shoe. Coins, little dolls, small books, all wrapped in tissue paper. No big gifts, no Nintendo, no PS3 (or whatever number we're up to now) Then came the excitement of comparing what we all got. I have to say that the 'Wise' Kings were very fair.
I tell my kids about this wonderful tradition and told them one year we would celebrate the way I did when I was their age. They love the part about getting gifts from the Three Wise Kings, not so much about not receiving Christmas gifts. Oh well, at least they have something to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment